Churches

You are here: Home  > Churches

Showing 10 from 23 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Aikaterini (St. Catherine)

    This three-nave, vaulted church is located in the south-easternmost part of the Medieval City of Rhodes. Known in Ottoman times as “Ilk Mihrab” (meaning “Original Pilgrimage Stage”), it used to stand as the reminiscence of the first case of a Christian church in Rhodes that was converted to a Moslem mosque by order of Suleiman […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Kyriaki (St. Kyriaki)

    This is a single-nave church located the southern part of the Medieval City, dating from the 15th century. The construction suffered a series of modifications as part of the process of its conversion into a mosque, under the name of “Bοrazan Mescit”, during the Ottoman rule. Bοrazan Ali Baba was the name of a trumpeter […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Marina (St. Marina)

    Little though it may be known about this particular church, St. Marina seems to have played quite a role in the history of the island of Rhodes, as a rich, orally transmitted, folklore (having also inspired the name under which this church has come to be designated) along with various references as 15th century Knightly […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi)

    This is one of the most sizeable churches in the Medieval City of Rhodes. Located on Ippodamou street, it was built in the late 15th century, as per estimates having relied on the architectural style followed for the construction of this church as well as on certain similarities of its concept to such other specimens […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity)

    Erected sometime between the late 15th and early 16th century this church is situated on Leonidou Rodiou square. Some of the original frescoes that once decorated its interior have been preserved – namely, sections of Ezekiel prophetic vision, the Society of Disciples, the Co-Officiating Fathers of the Church, the Ascension, the ecstasy of St. Peter […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) on Ippoton str

    Single-nave chapel situated on the Street of the Knights, its construction estimated to have taken place sometime between 1360 and 1380. The prevalence of the Coat of Arms of the Tongue of England is but one of several features about it, suggesting that this church used to pertain the order of the English Knights. Also […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agioi Apostoloi (the Holy Apostles)

    This essentially is a complex of constructions distributed within a clearly outlines space that has already since the 14th century, undergone quite a series of interventions. Excavations conducted on this site have brought to light the vestiges of an old, three-nave church dating from the 14th century and believed to have been destroyed either at […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agioi Theodoroi (the Holy Theodoroi)

    Located on Omirou street, this church dates from the 15th century. Many successive additions and alterations have over the centuries been brought to the original construction, starting from a first extension on the western flank before some more decisive alterations were attempted in view of the church’s conversion into a mosque and culminating with the […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agios Artemios (St. Artemius)

    Restoration works about this church, originally launched in the ‘90s, have come to reveal the origins of the construction which had, as of the times of the Ottoman rule, been known as the Şakıdı Mescit mosque. A more detailed archaeological search into the site, considering the vaulted free cross-form architecture of the construction as well […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Church of Agios Athanasios (St. Athanasius)

    This is a single-nave church located within short distance from the Gate of the Medieval City bearing the same name. Although the architectural features and the blazons embedded in various parts of the construction – namely those of the Order of St. John and of Grand Master Fabrizio del Carretto (1513-1521) suggest the construction to […]