Entrances

You are here: Home  > Entrances

Showing 10 from 11 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Acandia Gate

    Set in the eastern flank of the Medieval City, next to the entrance of the eastern part of the Moat leading to the Medieval Moat Open Air Theatre, this Gate – also referred to by the locals as the “Kova Gate” – by gives access to the urban section of the fortified city, the harbour […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Arnaldo Gate

    The Arnaldo Gate is estimated to have, up to the second half of the 14th century, connected the main dock of the medieval port to the urban quarter of the City of Rhodes. According to relevant references in a written document dating from 1391, this particular gate was traditionally used by knightly novices (Filii Arnaldi) […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    D' Amboise Gate

    Set in the north-western flank of the fortification walls encircling the Medieval City, this Gate bears the name of Grand Master Emery d’Amboise (1503-1512), since it was under his rule that this particular project was developed. As a matter of fact, construction works on the Gate had already been launched at the time Grand Master […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gate of Agia Aikaterini (St. Catherine), aka the Gate of the Mole

    A historical source of the year 1357 has it that the construction of the Gate of St. Catherine was commissioned by Grand Master Dieudonné de Gozon (1346-1353). The construction has been referred to as the Gate of St. Catherine since 1465 whereas before that it used to be designated as the “Gate of the Mole”, […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gate of Agios Athanasios (St. Athanasius)

    According to the coat of arms embedded in the fortification wall around it, the Gate of St. Athanasius dates back to the times of Grand Master Jean de Lastic (1437-1454), although the blazon of the latter’s predecessor, namely Grand Master Antoine Fluvian (1421-1437) had already been placed on the watchtower of St. Athanasius having stood […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gate of Agios Ioannis (St. John)

    Its construction having been launched at the time of Grand Master Antoine Fluvian (1421-1437), this Gate, located in the southern flank of the Medieval City, was completed under the rule of Grand Master De Milly (1454-1461). A bilingual inscription embedded right above this Gate heralds the completion of works on this fortification project, on the […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gate of Apostolos Pavlos (Paul the Apostle)

    Located in the north-eastern corner of the Medieval City, this Gate used to connect the harbour of Mandraki to the De Naillac Pier. A semi-cylindrical tower in the inner part of wall bears a marble sculpture of the coat of arms of the House of Grand Master d’Aubusson (1476-1503) right next to those of the […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Gate of the Canons

    The Gate of the canons is located at the southeast corner of the Grand Masters Palace and provided access to the battle positions on the ramparts of the walls surrounding and fortifying the Medieval City. It was constructed during Jean de Lactic’s Magistery (1437-1454) and bears his Coat of Arms. It was protected by two […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Liberty Gate (aka Shipyard Gate)

    Constructed at the time of Grand Master Heredia (1377-1396), this Gate used to connect the northern flank of the seaside wall to the harbour. The Shipyard Gate pertained the domain of responsibility of the Tongue of France, within short distance from the local arsenal and the Knightly shipyards, also referred to as the “Shipyard Vaults”. […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Marine Gate

    This Gate is located right across from the medieval commercial harbour and the open public space of the town where multitude civic events used to take place, assorted to the trade activities of Rhodes. The Gate was constructed in 1478 under the auspices of Grand Master Pierre d’ Aubusson (1476-1503), in what is a series […]