Monuments

You are here: Home  > Monuments

Showing 10 from 22 Items
  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Admiralty (Orthodox Bishop's Residence)

    Dating from the 15th century AD, the Admiralty is located on Evreon Martyron (Jewish Martyrs) square. Location of the construction in time has been suggested on the basis of a reference by Rottiers, a famous traveller of his time, who did mention the presence of a blazon – still seen today – of the House […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Agios Ioannis (St. John) of the Collachium

    This church used to stand at the highest point of the Collachium, right across from the Palace of the Grand Master. Construction works on this project were launched no sooner had the Knights of the Order of St. John established themselves on the Island of Rhodes (1310), the consecration of the church having taken place […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Byzantine Fortifications

    Construction works on these fortifications were initiated in the late 7th century AD, followed by additions and expansions that coincided with the start of the Crusades, the whole having bestowed upon the Medieval City of Rhodes the typical outlook of a fortified medieval stronghold, with clearly identified modules like the Citadel (Palace of the Grand […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Collachium

    The name designates the northernmost part of the Medieval City, monopolized by the Knights of the Order of St. John and their activities. Although the origins of this enclave date back to the Hellenistic period, it was during the Byzantine era that its limits expanded, reaching its actual status in the 11th and 12th centuries […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    De Milly’s Arsenal

    The name designates the construction located right behind Liberty Gate, at the feet of the Heredia twin towers. As the blazons on the building’s façade suggest, the Arsenal was commissioned by Grand Master De Milly (1454-1461) and refurbished with the care of Grand Master Orsini (1467-1476), in the light of the new circumstances created by […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Fabrizio del Carretto Bastion

    Located in the eastern part of the Medieval City, this bastion exemplifies what has been a quite advanced fortification concept, similarly to the bastions of Auvergne and St. George. As a matter of fact, the likes of this particular type of outworks may be found on the island of Kos, at the Forts of Antimacheia […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hellenistic Era Fortifications

    These fortifications used to protect the entire coastal face of the Medieval City, right in front of all three moles of the Rhodian harbours. There are scattered remains of that fortification in archaeological sites throughout the Medieval City, namely in the Agios Panteleimon district, the Mole of the Windmills, ea. Over the centuries, the Hellenistic […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Hostel of Agia Aikaterini (St. Catherine)

    This is one of the most notable monuments legated from the time of the Knights (1309-1522). Situated on the junction of Thiseos and Pindarou streets, the building was constructed in 1391 on a commission by Admiral Domenico d’Alemagna, from Italy. Together with the chapel of St. Catherine, the hostel was used by the Order of […]

  • Item thumbnail
    0

    Mansion of Diomede de Vilaragut

    Located on the junction of the Street of the Knights and Lachitos street, this mansion has had its history associated to that of the Knight Diomede de Vilaragut, chief of the Tongue of Aragon. The premises of the 15th century mansion are structurally connected to the Grand Hospital of the Knights, although the original use […]