This is one of the most notable monuments legated from the time of the Knights (1309-1522). Situated on the junction of Thiseos and Pindarou streets, the building was constructed in 1391 on a commission by Admiral Domenico d’Alemagna, from Italy. Together with the chapel of St. Catherine, the hostel was used by the Order of St. John to accommodate pilgrims on their way to or from the Holy Land, irrespective of their national origins. The refinement of the design and the lavishness of the premises of this hostel were mentioned by more than one travellers of the time.
Many have been the damages and alterations this two-storey building and the grounds around it have suffered over the ages. Archaeological excavations in the area have unearthed part of fortifications having pertained a harbour, dating from the Hellenistic period. Restoration works launched in 1987 are meant to integrate the surrounding archaeological sites and will culminate with the development, within the construction, of the Centre for Archaeological Projects of the 4th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.