Monastery of Agios Georgios (St. George)

You are here Home  > Churches >  Monastery of Agios Georgios (St. George)

This monastery is situated not far from the homonymous Gate, in the west flank of the fortifications of the Medieval City. Dating from the 15th century, the premises have undergone a thorough restoration that was only brought to completion in 2001. The site is open to visitors and more often than not plays host to various cultural events and activities. Excavations conducted in what used to be the monastery’s front yard have brought up elements typical of cult practices in this area way before the time of the construction of the monastery, namely over the period between the 4th and the 13th century AD.
The complex comprises the main church, three aisles of hermit cells, the monk’s main dining room and the courtyard. The church itself is a specimen of rare architectural concept, being vaulted and of a four apex structure, the name attributed to it having been inspired by its proximity to the Gate of Agios Georgios (St. George) as well as by several references in the records of the National Library of Malta, where the Records of the Order of St. John are kept. As far as the cells are concerned, only the north and west ground floor aisled may be attributed to the era of the Knights.
During the Ottoman rule, the complex came to be known as Hurmali Madrasa, suggesting that after 1522, the premises were used as a religious school (madrasa). The church itself was converted into a mosque whereas, sometime in the 18th century, one more floor was added on top of the two already existing aisle and a third one was added, on the eastern flank.


Our address

Address:
Monastery of Agios Georgios (St. George)
GPS:
36.444037781148765, 28.222934603663816

Comments are closed.