Church of Agios Georgios (St. George) in the Fortifications

You are here Home  > Churches >  Church of Agios Georgios (St. George) in the Fortifications
Item image

As its name suggests, this church is embedded in the fortification walls of the Medieval City, not far from the church of Panagia tou Bourgou (Our Lady of the Bourg). Essentially part of the south-eastern bastion of the Collachium, this is a votive church commissioned by soldiers to their saint protector. The construction dates from the times of the rule of Grand Master Juan Fernández de Heredia (1377-1396) as suggested by the coat of arms on the marble plate above the main entrance. Also featured on that same marble plate are the heraldic symbols of the Knight Pierre Culant as well as two similar blazons pertaining the Knight Inigo d’Afredo. This is a single-nave construction, its compact walls only bearing a gateway and a window.
In its interior, this church used to be richly decorated with several frescoes, of which only a minor part is still discernible enough to provide an idea of the original depictions. The effigies of Jesus, St. John the Precursor, St. Martin as well as an illustration of St. George killing the Dragon, on the south and west walls date from the times of the rule of Grand Master Fabrizio del Carretto (1513-1521), as suggested by the presence of the coat of arms of the del Carretto House, on the arch featured on that same flank.
Restoration works about this church are still under way. Along with the church of Prophet Habakkuk in the area of Paradisi, on the West Coast, St. George is a rare specimen of a place of cult embedded in a bastion.


Our address

Address:
Church of Agios Georgios (St. George) in the Fortifications
GPS:
36.444008195629195, 28.222114741802216

Comments are closed.