Liberty Gate (aka Shipyard Gate)

You are here Home  > Entrances >  Liberty Gate (aka Shipyard Gate)
Item image

Constructed at the time of Grand Master Heredia (1377-1396), this Gate used to connect the northern flank of the seaside wall to the harbour. The Shipyard Gate pertained the domain of responsibility of the Tongue of France, within short distance from the local arsenal and the Knightly shipyards, also referred to as the “Shipyard Vaults”.
Two square towers used to flank the Gate on either side, both of which were razed by the Ottomans in 1910. The ramparts currently seen on top of the wall were erected during the Italian rule (1912-1943). According to historic references to this particular structure, one of the two towers among other featured the coat of arms of Grand Master d’Aubusson (1476-1503).
There is a pronounced influence of Byzantine architectural style on this construction, the dimensions of which (9.9 in width, 5.2 m. in height) are justified by the projected use of these premises, what with the volume of vessels or appurtenances thereof that used to go through this Gate on their way to the shipyard. Under the Ottoman rule, this Gate may have operated as a bridge over the water to a basin designated in Turkish as “Eğri Liman” (metaphorically: the “Concealed Harbour”).


Our address

Address:
Liberty Gate (aka Shipyard Gate)
GPS:
36.446390226983, 28.227561328916

Comments are closed.