The Gate of the canons is located at the southeast corner of the Grand Masters Palace and provided access to the battle positions on the ramparts of the walls surrounding and fortifying the Medieval City. It was constructed during Jean de Lactic’s Magistery (1437-1454) and bears his Coat of Arms.
It was protected by two symmetrical, round towers, one on each side, a fact that indicates the presence of a drawbridge connecting the Gate with the ramparts.
Crossing the Gate, the garrison of the Palace could have immediate access to the ramparts and the bastion that faces the famous Gate d’ Amboise and fortified the Palace. The bastion is fortified with canons (hence the name of the Gate), but many historiographers have stated that those canons were added much later as a decorative element.