Inn of the Tongue of England

You are here Home  > Inns >  Inn of the Tongue of England
Item image

This two-storey building on the street leading from the Marine Gate to the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes – the latter housed in what, under the rule of the Knights (1309-1522) was the Knights main Hospital – came to be identified thanks to historical sources made available by French traveller Rottiers (1828) as well as thanks to a project study prepared by Architect Albert Gabriel (1912).
In the northern flank of the construction there may be seen the restored coats of arms of the Tongue of England, the blazon of the House of John Kendal, prior of England as well as two more coats of arms, of unknown origins. Subsequent to a first restoration by the Italian Archaeological Service (1919) and a more recent series of refurbishment works in 1988, the premises are now housing the activities of the “Association for the Preservation of the Architectural Heritage of the Medieval City of Rhodes”.


Our address

Address:
Inn of the Tongue of England
GPS:
36.44501150579327, 28.227428197860718

Comments are closed.