Inn of the Tongue of France

You are here Home  > Inns >  Inn of the Tongue of France
Item image

Located in the lower part of the Street of the Knights, this construction was commissioned by Emery d’Amboise, in 1492, during the mandate of Grand Master Pierre d’Aubusson (1476-1503) to house the Priory of the Tongue of France. A multitude of blazons and inscriptions throughout the complex bear witness to the development of the premises and the consecutive modifications brought to it until 1510, with the care of Grand Master Villiers de l’Isle-Adam originally a high ranking officer promoted to Grand Master of the Order. .
Modifications continued to be brought to the premises even during the Ottoman rule, since the premises were converted in a housing complex. In 1932, reinstatement works initiated earlier were brought to completion under the guidance of Architect Albert Gabriel, bringing the Inn back to its original condition – at least, as far as its façade is concerned, certain doubts having been expressed as to the faithfulness of the restitution of its interior. This building, originally meant to operate as the mustering point of the French Knights, is an acknowledged model of locally developed style and architecture. In present day, the premises are housing the office of the French Vice-Consul as well as occasionally playing host to various cultural events.


Our address

Address:
Inn of the Tongue of France
GPS:
36.44508055031665, 28.22688102722168

Comments are closed.