This imposing defence construction at the medieval harbour of Rhodes dates from 1451. As many as 13 windmills had reportedly functioned in this area at the time of the Knightly rule, catering to the needs of the city. Works on the development of this particular construction were originally commissioned by Grand Master Jean de Lastic (1437-1454), using funds contributed partly by the local Jewish community and the King of France – possibly Louis XI, judging from a blazon featured on the tower’s façade. The original outlook and structure of the tower and the bastion are now gone, altered forever in the wake of modifications commissioned by Grand Master d’Aubusson, in the aftermath of the Ottoman siege of 1480 as well as under the effect of posterior reinstatement works carried about the bastion.
- The Tower at the Mole of the Windmills
- 36.446135629296336, 28.232822120189667