Church of Panagia tou Kastrou (Our Lady of the Fort)

You are here Home  > Churches >  Church of Panagia tou Kastrou (Our Lady of the Fort)

Located at the downside foot of Ippoton street (the Street of the Knights), this church is perfectly adjacent to the seafront fortifications, across from the harbour. Originally constructed in the 11th century, the church underwent a thorough refurbishment by the Knights of the Order of St. John, sometime between 1319 and 1334 – as suggested by inscriptions o the coats of arms embedded on both sides of the central window, namely those of the Order, of Grand Master Hélion de Villeneuve and of Pope John XXII -, resulting in the actual gothic look.
During the Ottoman rule, additions were brought to the construction in view of its conversion into a mosque, under the name of “Enderum Cami”. At a later time, such additions were removed with the care of the Italian rulers, within the context of works undertaken towards the reinstatement of the church.


Our address

Address:
Church of Panagia tou Kastrou (Our Lady of the Fort)
GPS:
36.44506760447323, 28.227535486221313

Comments are closed.